Wednesday, August 26, 2009

First Day

            So I am in Spain! Yay and I finally got WIFI they pronounce it “Wee fee” here it’s kind of funny.  The flight was exhausting, but fun it was an 18-hour process Kessa and I sat together on the plane with another girl that’s also in our program so the 3 of us had a few drinks and watched movies the whole time.  We had a layover in London and that airport is HUGE! We had to take a shuttle and a bus just to get to our terminal and then another bus to get to our plane. I got to meet most of the people in my study abroad program right away because we all traveled on the same flight, it was sort of a bonding experience.  Flying internationally is sweet there are a lot of movies you can watch each person gets their own TV, the food is excellent and the best part is that all drinks are free even alcohol!!! The girl that sat next to us was double fisting at one point. The flight attendants were all British with accents it was cool.

            Well enough about the flight, Madrid is amazing!!! It reminds me of San Francisco except for 20 times bigger and better. I am currently staying in the University dorms it’s really nice and I have my own room I just share my bathroom with one other girl. I feel like a freshman all over again, but I couldn't be happier.  We are allowed to stay here up to two weeks, at the end of the two weeks we already need to have our own place! I’m nervous about that I hope I get a cool place in a good location with some Spanish Chicas.  The Euro currency is so much stronger than the dollar it hurts me to exchange my money.  I exchanged money and got 340 Euros for 526 USD! I lost $186, but they say the rate should get better in winter when there’s less tourism here.  The area around the college has pretty much anything you would ever need, we walked around and found a ton of stores theres also a lot of bars nearby.  Something interesting is that there are Chinese people in Madrid that own Chinese stores they try to speak Spanish, but they speak very little Spanish.  I love the Chinese stores because the they have a bunch of useful things for very cheap.

            Our first night out we rolled deep! Our program has 84 students from California and about 50 of us went bar hopping together.  There are 64 girls and 20 guys.  The first bar we went to is literally across the street from our dorm, the drinks are very cheap here and you usually get a small appetizer (called Tapas) with your drink even if you don’t ask I guess it is a packaged deal. Lol.  Of course everyone ended up getting trashed! I didn't drink though I just observed I felt a bit nervous to drink in a foreign country.   I met a few Spaniards and I had them teach me all the bad words..the important stuff…Lol They told me a really popular drink here is called “Calimocho” it’s red wine mixed with Coca Cola I thought it was strange, but everyone drinks it here. Spaniards are like Mexicans in that sense they LOVE Coca Cola.   I want some Calimocho. I'm so excited to be here, everyone in the program is very friendly I don't feel lonely but It's hard not knowing anything about this place, but i'll be exploring the next few days and we'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment